Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dr. Ferber 1st night ...

We survived. And it wasn't all that bad.

Actually, I believe the sheer presence of Ferber's book beside me on my night table really intimated Fifi. She felt it's presence. She also probably felt my relaxed state of mind that was filling up with courage, with every scream. She realized that the tables have been turned and now Mama was boss.

I skipped to Ferber's chapter 4 and skimmed over "How to Solve the Problem: The Progressive-Waiting Approach" before going to bed. As I doze off into my first peaceful dream, she woke. She screamed. I reassured her a couple of times. On the fourth visit, I walked into her room, closed the door behind me, and saw that she was sitting up in bed. We made eye contact. I did not smile. She smiled, raised her right hand, and opened/closed her palm a dozen time signaling a "HELLO." Seriously she waved HELLO to me at 3:31am.

Geez, she has been playing me this entire time. We are going to continue with the CIO method. But I won't continue writing about it - you won't be bored by my baby's sleeping problems. I need to conquer my next parenting problem: disciplining an overly independent and dramatic three year old girl without damaging her inner spirit and spunk.

9classy comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like things are going ok after the first night. That wave had me cracking up...my son used to do that...still does occasionally! And it's not boring.
Let me know how the discipline goes because I have an almost 3 year old boy who has some major issues!
:)

LunaNik said...

I love that she waved...she actually waved! Isn't funny how quickly they learn how to 'control' us? It's as if they get an instruction manual on 'How to Manipulate Mommy' when they are born. Why don't we get a 'How to Control Your Manipulative Child' when they are born?? hmmm...

Kat said...

Yes, I used a book too. It is called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It helped me. Whatever works, right?
I'm glad you feel a little more in control. That helps.
Hope you get a ton of sleep tonight! Good luck!

lattemommy said...

I'm afraid I don't have a book recommendation for that one! But if you find one, let me know. I have a "spirited" almost-3-year-old myself, and I can relate to your problem.

Hope you and Dr. Ferber become friends...

AutoSysGene said...

Funny, my neighbor said the same about her kids when I loaned her my Magic 123 book.

Feel free to post about it, we've all been there one time or another. And the wave, classic. ISn't it amazing that at 9 months a baby can unknowingly manipulate us...I sure am hoping it's unknowingly at that age.

Here's hoping it continues to get easier as the time goes by.

Ok, here are my two book recommendations Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka and 123 Magic by Thomas W. Phelan, both helped me tremendously.

adequatemom said...

I'm glad you're starting a new plan, and it sounds like a positive one for you! Even if you don't post details along the way, please let us know how it all worked out "in the end" as we new moms need all the advice and guidance we can get! Good luck!

Cecily R said...

I used the same book as Kathryn with Isaac. It worked really well for him. Gracie is her own dang person though.

I so hope things continue to look up for you and her. I'm crossing my fingers and my toes!

Unknown said...

"We made eye contact. I did not smile. She smiled..."

Sometimes it's just so hard! That total look of innocence the devil-angels have is enough to crack me up...and they know it! The moment one of them starts laughing, I break out laughing and it's game over!

However, getting out of bed for the fourth time might change things slightly.

Keep up the good work!

Kellan said...

I loved that she was signing "Hello" over and over again - too cute - how can you resist - oh, yeah ... need sleep!!! Good luck! See you soon. Kellan

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs

Original Header and Concept by: Judith Shakes