Monday, March 24, 2008

Answers

I asked my readers to supply me with questions and they did!

Domestic Extraordinaire said:
Since I have been reading you have had 3 different, yet classy & fab., hairstyles. Do you feel that changing your hair style is important to keep your look classy and trendy? Just curious as I love my hair style-can't imagine changing it anytime soon because I just don't deal with that kind of change well.

Yes... I do love to change up my hair quite often. I feel that is it an easy way to stay trendy without introducing new clothes/accessories. I do a lot of research and the anticipation makes me giddy.


Indy said...
I have no questions b/c I think I know you too well to ask. I just wanted to be the first up here. Can't wait to see what everyone asks.

You do know me very well. I value our friendship very much.



Glowstars said...
Which part of your Polish heritage do you consider most important and which part do you feel is most important to impart to your children? If the aspects you choose are different, why so?

I don't feel as if one part is more important the the next. As an immigrant to this country I just want them to understand where I come from. Food, language, traditions... they are all very important to me.



Elisa said....
How does one manage to still have the body to go with her Classy Closet after three children? Also, how do you run after them in stilettos? :-)

Everything changes when you have children. Especially after three children. I have found what works best for my body: long legs and a tire around my waist. And when I find what works best I try and fill my closet with items that will compliment my body frame.



Courtney said....
You have 3 beautiful children who seem so well rounded...how do you do it? We have so much jealousy in our house I want to scream. How do you make them feel like you love them all the same? Please teach me this so I can restore peace in our home.

Awe. Many thanks. My children are far from angels but they are loving creatures. We try and give them one on one time each and every week. When they have good days we allow them to stay up later for the secret. Which is a BIG deal in our house.


Amy said....
I want to know what your career was before it was raising children full time. Also, do you plan to work outside the home again, when, and doing what?

I was a 9th grade English teacher. Although I have no plans of going back to teaching I do dream big about my future career(s). One of my dreams would be to travel the world documenting family vacations.



Krystyn said....

What is your favorite picture you have taken? Yes...just one picture!

Since I started my 365 day project of challenging myself to take one picture a day of the kids I have realized that I have many new favorites. One picture that stands out from the rest is the portrait I took of Fifi. It makes me smile out loud because it is the quintessential capture of a toddler.



Stephanie
said...
Occasionally you post about your kids differences in personality. Which of the three most closely matches your own personality?

I am so glad you asked that Stephanie! Hands down I would have to say that when I look into Jay's eyes I see myself. We are both sensitive, nurturing, and philosophical. Although he really likes math and root beer and I hate both!




Rachel said...

You are so proud of your Polish heritage and do such a great job teaching your children about it and incorporating it into your lives. What is your husband's ethnic background? Is that as much a part of your lives? I struggle - I am Jewish, dh is Christian, and we have an adopted Chinese daughter. How do we do it all with our kids?

My husband is Scottish, German, and Lithuanian. Very honestly, his background is sadly not part of our lives as much as mine mainly because I was born in Poland and his family has been here much longer. Which is really no excuse. We incorporate many Polish traditions because it's what is important to me. I never thought or realized that my side was overwhelming the other, this is most definitely an eye opening question Rachel.



Tracey said...

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years, when all the kids are in school full-time and not little?

I plan on drugging my children so that they stay little forever. Kidding, kinda of. Heh. In 10 years my dream would be to write for a magazine/newspaper focusing on traveling as a family. Another dream I have is to open up Cleveland's very first Rhythmic Gymnastics studio. I also dream of being a Dallas Cowgirl Cheerleader and running in a marathon. I better start living a healthy lifestyle now to allow me the time to live my dreams.




PunkyBean said...

What's your favorite place to shop?

I could spend a fortune at Neiman's, Mark Shale, and Mango. In that order too!




I am P said...

You seem so busy with the kids, do you and Mr. Oh make time to get out alone once in a while for some classy fun?


Very rarely do we get to go out. I hope that just as soon as Fifi matures into a little preschooler we could trust a babysitter to handle her tanturums. However, Mr. OH and I really do enjoy a relaxing night in with a yummy dinner, movie, vino, and on the couch in sweats. Seriously. Even when dating a nice evening in was always looked forward to.



Renny said...

So, you take amazing photos, and you briefly gave a synopsis of how to become a good photographer, but I'm just wondering, what are some other little things you've figured out about snapping a great picture. And when did you decide you wanted to be good at photography?

I decided I wanted to be good at photographer on the day I delivered my first child. Seriously. I made my husband go out and purchase a decent SLR camera the very next day. I have figured out that the best pictures come from when you are observing life as a fly on the wall. My most favorite photos are that of my kid's backs, profiles, or shadows. My biggest piece of advice is think outside of the box.



Jessica said...

When you DO show pictures of yourself...which doesn't seem to be quite as frequent as you do of your kids...you're wearing some of the most adorable outfits! Are you paying a fortune for these?! Where do you shop at? I just want to look classy - I figured you would be the person to ask...

Am I paying a fortune? Yes and no. I think of my good pieces as an investment in my personal wardrobe and add some seasonal trendy items from places like Target, H&M, and Old Navy. Just because I am a mom does not mean I can't be stylish and I refuse to give into daily sweats and sneakers. You will never find me sporting a Disney sweatshirt and Keds. It's very important for me not to loose sight of myself as a quazi fashionista.


Beyond A Mommy said...

What is the classiest advice you could give about being a mom?

Hmmm... the classiest advice I can give as a mom? I guess I would have to advise mothers not to allow motherhood to define them completely. I am a mom. But I am also a woman who has dreams and aspirations and doesn't want to loose sight of those. I think it's quite healthy for our children to realize that moms are humans too.


LceeL said...

What are your vital statistics?

Heh. Nice try Lou!



Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

You seem to have it all together and I was wondering how you find time to juggle all of your responsibilities with having 3 young children?

First and foremost I have been blessed with an amazing husband. Whom not only organizes my closet every season he also does the laundry, occasionally the dishes, and has no problem whisking away the troop on the weekends. I do all of my writing at night, I workout in the morning while everyone is asleep, and run around with the kids all day long. I feel most guilty at night when I log on to see so many comments and am unable to respond. I need sleep. However. Every mother knows that sleep is totally over rated anyways, no? Basically I would not be able to follow my passions and complete all my responsibilities without the mental/physical support of my husband.


Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

If you feel comfortable discussing that very sensitive subject of money, can you tell us some details (or ALL, your choice) about how you budget for your family to go on international vacations and afford expensive shoes, while you are also a SAHM? I think it is great! Please don't tell me to clip coupons because coupons make my head explode.

No, I do not clip coupons LOL. My husband's profession does allow me to stay at home and we do budget every month. We don't eat out much, or order in, we don't buy the kids many toys, we don't belong to any clubs like many of our friends do, we cut our own grass and shovel our own driveway, we buy what we need on cash and make many sacrifices to travel. The shoes are a slowly growing collection and while many SAHM buy a handful of shoes each year I purchase just one very good quality pair every other year. Very rarely do I shop just to shop as some do for "retail" therapy. I always look for pieces to add into my collection. There is no secret really... we live the frugal life at home in order to save for what's important to us.


Becca said...

If you had to give up every pair of shoes you owned except one *yes, I said just one*, which pair would you keep?

My Louboutins, for sure! The make my long legs go on FOREVER and for that they have won my heart.


Domestic Goddess (In Training) said...

I don't do classy. I do material. You and your kids always look fab in photos. Top stores to shop in? Two categories... give me your all time faves (money no object) and then faves for shopping in economic crisis (thanks, GW!).

I could spend the entire day lost inside a Neiman Marcus for me, the kids, and the husband. When shopping on a budget I really like H&M for all of us too!


Every Day Goddess said...

Did you take a photo class of some sort to use your slr camera? I am saving to buy one and take a class, just curious if a class is worthwhile?

Yes. When I purchased my digital SLR, I inquired about classes and decided to spend the same amount of money as I would on a weekly class to have a private class with the camera store's owner. It was one hour long and we went on a walk. She taught me the ins and outs of how to work my camera. Locate your local camera store and ask them to give you a one hour private tutorial. I am sure you will learn more in that one hour then in a weekly class.


Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts said...

I don't have a question, just wanted to come by and let you know how much I enjoy your blog.

Thanks Diva.


Cecily R said...

I want to know what your secret super power is. Don't say you don't have one because we ALL know you do!! :)

Heh. Sweet Cecily, you must be kidding. I am just as tired and worn out as everyone else. This past Monday I nearly fell asleep at the wheel in the morning and so I put Fifi to sleep and kept Lola busy with some coloring books in my bed and I slept with the phones turned off. I slept like a baby for nearly an hour. I do like to selfishly draw myself a bath at the end of the day and soak away my worries. I swear to God that it rejuvenates me each time.


The D's said...

As a woman with a multi-cultural background (I am a French-American), I wonder if your kids speak (or understand) Polish? How about your husband?

Before having children I vowed that my children would be bi-lingual because it was important to me. I had grand plans of how I was going to teach them and speak only in Polish to them. Now, seven years later, I can barely get dinner on the table and leave the house with three clean children in tow for an errand. They are constantly hungry and always dirty and I need to tackle those before introducing a language. They do have a select few words that we have incorporated into our everyday conversations. Such as "majtki" which sounds much more pleasant then underwear. And the husband was very eager to learn some Polish before our vacation to Poland last summer. One day soon, when my kids are clean and fed I will start my lessons in Polish.

carrie said...

OK - question, what is your favorite thing about living in Ohio and where would you re-locate if you had to (besides NYC or Chicago)? smooches.

Oh Carrie, you do know me well. I would most definably, in a heart beat, re-locate to NYC or Chicago. If I had to re-locate in the continental Unites States, I would probably like to live in Miami since it's multicultural, warm, and easy to fly out of to see the rest of the world. My most favorite thing about living in Ohio is the forest that surrounds us. We are avid hikers and spend the majority of spring/summer wading through the river.


Managed Chaos said...

Really. How do you do manage to do it all...and do it all so well? Momma to 3. Blogger Extraordinaire. Fashionista. World Traveler. Photographer. Wife. Do you ever struggle with keeping everything in balance?

You sure do know how to make me blush out loud! I manage somehow because those things are all very important to me. Of course, being a mother and wife come weeeeell before travel, fashion, photography, and blogging and all in that order. If you are passionate you make things happen and it would be a lie if I didn't admit to staying up well past my bed time writing and editing. My passions, my hobbies, my "me time" is important for my sanity.

Scary Mommy said...

How the hell do you manage to run around in those shoes? I'm dying to know.

I think I am conditioned to them. Seriously. I could wear my favorite stilettos for an entire night of dancing. If I wore flip-flops for an entire night my arches would be killing me. Honest to God truth. I do, however, wear ballet flats the majority of the time while chasing kids and the only time you will find me in sneakers is when I am on the way to the gym. Being feminie is also important to me.


Momo Fali said...

Can I answer Carrie's question? There is nothing good about living in Ohio, unless you only live here from April - October. My question for you, is do you have a nickname? Who gave it to you and what does it "mean"?

The only nickname that pops in my head is of that given to me by one of my husband's dental school friends. She used to call me Paulinka-ka-raw because she once over heard my parents in their heavy accents calling out my name in Polish and adopted it. I heart it and her. Oh... and how could I forget what my best friend calls me. She calls me "winka" I have no idea how that one started. I heart her more then words can say.

Megryansmom said...

How do you travel by air, alone, with all three kids? Do you take a carseat for Fifi? What about carry on bags, checking luggage? I only flew once with my 2 when they were small and it was 100 years aog. I'm totally serious here, Augie Dawgs is flying in a few weeks with TOF and we are totally clueless. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I check all my luggage and use one backpack for all four of us and each child holds onto their own pillows while I push the double stroller. I have found that traveling with as little as possible helps. My backpack always has activities for each child, some snacks, and lots of aspirin for myself. Safe travels!

3 Peanuts said...

What is your favorite thing to serve/cook for a dinner party?

At our annual Halloween party we serve a mean bowl of chili with all the helpings. The only other time I entertain is during the summer when we can sit outside on the comfy patio and enjoy seasonal veggies and lots of meats. I am a BIG fan of making awesome salads with nuts, fruit, veggies, and my own dressings. I love entertaining and filling my house with family and friends. I dream of our house being the Kool-Aid house where people feel comfortable.


The Daily Stroll said...

So does the classy family eat at home during the week or eat out? If you eat at home how does a busy mommy of three young children find time to cook and what are some of your family favorite meals to cook during the week?? I'm always looking for new ideas instead of the inevitable chicken nuggets and mac and cheese! ;)

We usually eat at home and I rely on left overs as the kids are too little to know they are eating the same thing two days in a row. LOL. A lot of stir frys, gulasz, stroganoff, stews, and of course stuffed cabbage. I guess I am a big fan of the one pot dinners. They are super easy to make and even easier to clean up. I try to cook every other day or so and stay away from processed foods as much as possible. I too am always looking for new ideas and feel like my cooking repetiore is lacking in choices.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

If you had to evacuate your house and you were only allowed to take one pair of shoes......Which pair would you take?

I answered above about my most favorite shoes so I guess I will describe my second most favorite that I love equally as much. They are a pair of Gucci wedge heels that are ridiculously high but that go with just about every item in my closet. I buy shoes that work for a lot of outfits that are timeless. An investment! I can't wait for the warmer weather to debut them again for the ninth year in a row!


Leslie said...

Ummmm....I'm still waiting for my answer to the play-doh in my LV handbag question??? And if it shows up in my stilettos...watch out!

Yes.... having children changes everything and my purse has housed much more then just the occasional play-doh. MUCH more.


Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

Let's see...if you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Anywhere? I would love to live in Sopot, Poland. It is such a hidden gem tucked away on the Baltic Sea. So posh. So lively. So beautiful. Think Monte Carlo but with a much cheaper way of life.



Dziadek said...

Kogo bardziej kochasz
Mame czy Tate?????

Oh gosh, Tata! That's like asking me which hand of mine I love more. My right or my left. I love both you and Mama more then words can say.



Trenches of Mommyhood said...

I'm looking for a new purse. And I have birthday money to spend! I loathe little short straps though - I need something CLASSY I can wear over my shoulder - what would you recommend???

I am a big fan of totes because for the money you spend on a decent hand bag they are super practical. I have had my eye on the very demur leather satchel by Coach called the Parker. It's leather available in four different colors, fits perfectly over your shoulder, is non-descript and matches everything. It has two inside pockets and a nice magnetic closure at the top. Really... it's a super great bag and so classy!


Momo-Mama said...

What are your top 3 favorite blogs to read and your top 3 "new" blog finds that you can't get enough of?

That's a difficult question to answer for any blogger. My most favorite blogs happen to be the people that I have made online connections with or have met in real life.



Tara R. said...

"What do you consider to be the three most important fashion necessities in a classy lady's wardrobe?"

A pair of fitted trousers, a pencil skirt, and a nice white blouse. With the right accessories those three items can take you anywhere.



Sarah said...

I love your perspective on all matters relating to parenting. When you have more than one child how do you balance their needs when they both need attention at the same time? I'm a new mum of two and it's the hardest thing I struggle with. Baby's pooping on me at the same time that the toddler needs lunch: Arrgggh! Anyway, I love reading the blog, thanks so much for giving so much to all of us day after day.

First off, thank you, mommy bloggers take much heat for parenting online. There are many times that my youngest finds herself on the floor in the middle of a tantrum while I am working with the older two on a project/puzzle/painting. I do not feel guilty, at all, when confining her to her crib with an array of toys sprinkled about. I really feel it's important for children to learn how to occupy themselves. Moreso, to learn that mommy is "busy" but will return and their time will come too. My advice is to not feel guilty... teach your children to occupy themselves while you work with your other ones. Teaching children to keep themselves busy is such a great attribute for life. Because in reality in the outside world they will not always have a mommy to entertain them with a circus.


the planet of janet said...

how old were you when you got your first stilettos? what did they look like?

When I was 16 and no longer life guarding during the summer, I worked at a shoe store. Funny, no? I saved my paychecks only to re-deposit them back into the store on purchases. My first real pair of stilettos purchased by myself were a chunky heeled wedge in black. Oh, how I loved them!


Herb of Grace said...

I have two questions, is that ok? I want to know how you feel about hats. I love hats. Got any favs or suggestions for spring/summer this year? Also, how do you deal with children wanting to dress themselves? My daughter is six and has some very definite (and NOT always classy) opinions about her clothing. I want her to express herself, but I also want to teach her that NO one ought to wear those sweatpants with "Juicy" written across the butt. And Disney Princess does not need to be plastered across every item in your wardrobe. Any suggestions for how to balance motherly advice with allowing kids to choose their own wardrobe?

I do love hats! On our Mexico vacation I purchased the BIGGEST and most floppiest sun hat in a nude color. I felt like royalty! As for kids dressing themselves it's something that I too struggle with daily. I do want my 5 year old to express herself and not get caught up with what others think of her style and I do not want her to ever walk around with JUICY written across her poopcha. I guess I would have to say that I definitely pick my battles with her. She now understands that I do not let her tummy show because I told her that I prefer to be the only one that sees her belly. Moreso, I tell her that I do not like sleeveless dresses on little girls because little girls should have those covered as well. I have lots of morals and hope to pass them on without her loosing sight of her own fashion sense. You can me modest and fashionable. I am!


Lisa said...

Tell me the uber classy story of how you fell in love with Mr. Ohmommy. The more dish the better!

Heh. PG-13 blog here... I tell my kids that Daddy took me to see a movie (Great Expectations), we went to dinner afterwards, played a game of darts, fell in love, got married, and then kissed. I knew I was in love with him when we traveled to Europe a couple of months before getting engaged. I packed not a single pair of sensible shoes and in result huffed and puffed my way through many blisters. I remember sitting on a bench in Prague when he first held my sore feet and massaged them. I decided to hold onto him ever since. And he keeps allowing me to purchase un-sensible shoes!


♥ spoiled mommy ♥ said...

Im a big schedule girl...everything has a time, I like smooth easy days. What is you daily shedule? morning till night.

Oh, me too! I am a huge schdeuler as well and also believe that they contribute to a smoother day. I wake up at 5:30, in the gym at 6, put Jay on the bus at 8, send Lola off to school at 9, run around with Fifi until 11:30, have lunch with the girls, put Fifi to sleep in the afternoon, cook/clean/craft with Lola all afternoon, give snack to Jay at 4, run off to afternoon activities at 4:30, have dinner at 6, play until 7, have bath/book time at 7:30, kids are in bed by 8, by 8:15 things aren't so PGish around the OH house, online and/or TV time from 9-11, and am finally in bed by midnight. Lather, rinse, and repeat!!!



Chelsea said...

OK, I want to know about one of the worst style trends you ever indulged in. You must have not always been perfectly styled, right? Is there any embarrassing fashion in which you participated?

No... I wasn't always perfectly styled. LOL. Infact, in highschool, I went from a free spirited birkenstocks kinda of girl to a concert going combat boot girl. Both fashion trends have contributed to my current status. I love wearing free flowing skirts in the summer and sometimes like to wear a lot of black. The worst trend I ever gave into was rolling my jeans at the bottom cuff and spiking my bangs. Heh.

Comments closed.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs

Original Header and Concept by: Judith Shakes