Tuesday, October 14, 2008

You can change a baby's name but you can't change their hair color.

"Tell me again, Mama. Tell me about the day I was born." Lola begs. Just like any other young child she loves to hear about the day she was born. However, her birth story is sprinkled with a dash of chaos.

"I went to bed with a full tummy of your most favorite food. Polish kielbasa. All night long you kicked and flipped and kicked some more and I couldn't sleep." I tell her and watch her giggle at the pain she caused me that night.

"And then what Mama?"

"And then I woke up very early in the morning and called the doctor to tell him that you wanted to come out."

"I really did, didn't I? I wanted to come out and you listened to me." Lola throws her fingers up to cover her mouth while giggling.

"Yes. Daddy drove to the hospital and we were so excited. You were excited too because as soon as we got there you were born one hour later."

"Teehee." More giggles.

"The doctor said It's a girl and when I held you for the first time you touched my chin to make sure it was me."

"I know. I remember that. Just like in the picture."

"Yes."

"But, I had no name for 2 days, right? And then I cried when you named me Emma. Right, Mama?" Lola's eyes meet mine for the turn of events she loves listening to.

"Well. When you were a baby you liked to cry a lot. All the time. All day long and all day night you cried. So we started to look for a name that would fit you better. A name that would match such a beautiful and smart girl. My heart wanted to find a name that matched you perfectly."

"Teehee. Tell me all of the names you thought about."

"We thought about Olivia but you cried. We tried Madeline but you cried more. And then we called you Lola and you smiled and laughed and giggled." I explain.

"I like my name. It is perfect."

"Yes, so do I. It matches you perfectly." I admit.

"But. But how come you didn't think of the name Rapunzel or Cinderella, or Ro (The Barbie Island Princess)?" Lola tilts her head and wrinkles her nose as she asks me. "You know that I am like real life royalty and if you place a pea under my mattress I could actually feel it and that means I am royalty. I am." She proves her point with a graceful courtesy.

"Your name is very royal, Lola. And many real life princesses have had your name." I explain. Her name IRL isn't really Lola but a very classical romantic and regal name that rolls fyour tongue and makes you think of princesses.

"Even blonde princesses? Were any of the blonde princesses named Lola?"

"Probably." I answer unfazed by her randomness.

"If my hair ever turns your color I will dye it blonde. Even. Even when I am like 99 years old."

"Okay, Lola. Okay." I answer happily knowing her curiosity regarding her name has been quickly taken over by her love of being blonde.

Not too many people change their children's names after they are born. I did. I changed my baby's name a couple short weeks after she was born. There were plenty of websites to help me with the process and plenty of family members to lend me support.

However, now that she is a curious four year old I have no resources to help me answer. I'm just doing the best that I can. So far, my answers have been totally good enough for my curious blonde princess Lola.

Now if I could convince her that only her name is royal and there is absolutely no royal blood in our family tree.

60classy comments:

krissy said...

She is so a princess. And her blonde hair fits her like her name fits her as well.

BTW. I think I know what "name" she has. I could be wrong however, it sorta just popped in my head. I guess I'm just proud that my brain worked for all of 4 seconds.

Anonymous said...

Love the original post (from a year ago) ... name-choosing is SO difficult!

(and why the need to fully convince her that there's no official royalty in the bloodline? A girl can dream, right?)

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh! that is sooo sweet! And such a pretty picture of little Lola!

Rhea said...

My sweet Remy informed me he wanted to change his name to Homer. Not Homer the Greek poet but HOMER SIMPSON. I was horrified.

Anonymous said...

SUCH a princess!

enthalpymama said...

I can't wait until she's a teenager and she dyes her hair pink. Oh, just kidding. She'll probably marry a prince just to prove you wrong. (Just invite me to the wedding, okay?)

Flea said...

Being a princess is all in the wrist and the wave. Teach her that and she's set for life. Teach her to look for a real prince of a man and blood lines won't matter beans.

Rachel said...

That was the most beautiful Mommy response to a little girl's question.

I love when parents have a story behind the names they choose for their children. Every child should have such a story.

And . . . she's TOTALLY a princess. Let her keep that dream a reality!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I am so curious to know what her name is after reading all the stories about the big change!
I am sure it's beautiful and fits her perfectly, and what an interesting story to tell.

Stephanie said...

She looks like a true-blooded princess to me. I wish I remembered my own kids' birth stories better. I need to write those down someday soon before it's all haze.

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

What a cute, blond princess. Love the tree and leaves in her kingdom!

As for me? Mom let me change the spelling of my name when I was 6, because I thought Jill was "too boring." After all, if I couldn't shorten it like my friend Kristine did (to Krissy), then I needed to have a different spelling, right? And since then, I have been jyl. And, all lived happily ever after in our kingdom... LOL!

Jill said...

Naming a child is so difficult! I really didn't like my daughter's name for the first year or two of her life. Now it really seems to fit her, but it bugged me for quite awhile. Good for you for changing it when you did!

And only a 2 hour labor? I have nothing more to say here. :)

Polly said...

Ahhh how cute, baby names are one of the most beautiful parts of the process I think.

Unknown said...

Long live the princess! And may her hair remain blonde. So I'm curious was Emma REALLY her name a one point or another blog alias?

Glowstars said...

Have you tried googling royal lola, or princess lola or something like that. Surely it would throw up something.

Lisa said...

Her name is perfect - both her "real" name and blog name!!! Very royal indeed!

Mom2Amara said...

The picture of Lola is beautiful.

But I'm left to ask: If you can't change their hair color, can you let them get a brow wax? :) Amara's dark hair (from me) and fair skin (from Dad2Amara) means the start of a uni-brow...

Ellyn said...

Good luck convincing a little girl she is not a princess. It is in their blood. They all believe it.

Cute story.

GypsiAdventure said...

How sweet...It think it fits her perfectly and I believe ALL little girls are princesses - no matter what age they are! (just ask the hub) :)

Have a wonderful day!
~K

Jessica said...

Tell Lola that there are some Beautiful Princess Lola's (IRL Name)that were brunette's like her mommy.....

Indy said...

Lola, I felt the same way with my hair color. You better start saving all of your pennies because it is very expensive to stay your hair color when you get big.

Kaci said...

Awhhhh my Elly loves earing how she came into the world too! Your Lola is so cute! I love fall!

Kelly said...

Now you've got me curious to what her real name is.

You know, I don't think any of my boys have asked about the day they were born. Maybe I'll have to tell them anyway! LOL

Great pic of Lola in the leaves!!

Karen MEG said...

Oh but she is a princess, and a beautiful one at that.

Girls' names were the hardest, so I can sympathize royally ;).

We came up with little G's only a couple of weeks before she was born (she was early!), and it stuck.

Lovely photo. Funny about the hair colour question already !!!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

it's so funny to me that while many of us change the names of our children for our blogs it kills us not to know the names of the kids of all of our bloggy friends. Now I'm thinking of all the regal names I can to see if it fits your Lola...but Lola is what fits her. :-)

lovely story...just so sweet. Tulip has just started her romance with Cinderella...she's not even 18 mos yet. i think we too have many years of princess life ahead of us...can't wait!

Stephanie said...

Just get her her own "real" crown and tell her she's the first princess in your family. ;oD She's beautiful. I wish we could hear her real name! But I'm the same way with my kids, no revealing of their names online!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

And why DIDN'T you try Rapunzel?!? How could you deny her a real princess name? Such an unfeeling mother....

haniaski said...

LOVE IT !

Unknown said...

So, was it easier to come up with her bloggy "alias" than her real name? ; )

So glad you found one that really fits her! Love this little story...

A Crafty Mom said...

That's so cute!!! She is just gorgeous, what a perfect shot of her. I love that green dress, it's too sweet. Truly a princess!

Tyne said...

What a beautiful, royal post. She is such a princess. Avery wants to name our next baby, Mariposa Butterfly Fairy. She likes Ro, too.

Courtney said...

I love these stories and I really wish Taylor had a cool story behind her name like Callee does, but it just isn't so.

Mama Smurf said...

That photo is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I see a return to Europe and a marriage into a Royal family in her future.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Ahhh, all the good Lola's are blond. Trust me.

tiarastantrums said...

I liked this story the first time you posted about it. AND I still wish I had known this and changed my daughter's name. Because what we named her DOES not fit her personality AT ALL!!! I was out with her last week and she was running merrily ahead of me, and I was thinking, she is so not a *&^%^!!

AEH said...

I love the picture! :)

Marmarbug said...

I love that story! And I am happy that you were able to come to a good agreement on a name! Names are SO hard!

Chickadee said...

Nice picture.

Momisodes said...

She is so darling! Hundreds of names float in my head right now thinking of what it is :)

Such a sweet story. My little one hasn't asked about her birth yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

Anonymous said...

I wondered the other day, while thinking of you, if I could change my daughters name. I just came up with one I find just a tad more fitting....

As for hair color, I went from (my expertly died) blonde to brunette when I met Missy B. I wanted us to look more alike. Now she constantly wants to flat iron her hair so it looks more like mine while I drool in envy of her lustrous waves.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Well, she looks like a princess to me!!

This is such a cute story.....

We had a tough time when we had to name Sarah....we had no notice and then it was like "BAM" you have a baby....we had 4 names picked the night she was born and we didn't use any of them!

Jennifer said...

I love this story. She sounds like she's such a doll to sit and talk to. What a great age!

imbeingheldhostage said...

What a sweet post, and she looks like a princess standing in those leaves.
I wanted to change our 3rd son's name when I started worrying that the uncommon spelling would hinder him, but the Hubby was deployed and he was emailing me saying "no", so I didn't. Now I'm glad we kept our spelling, he's definitely a unique little guy.

Blessings From Above said...

She truly is a princess!

Although I have heard the story of how her name was changed, I never thought of it from her perspective before. What a cool little tidbit she has to share with others.

Kat said...

Well she certainly looks royal in that picture. What a beautiful little princess. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I know her name. It popped into my head too. YOu should have a contest and whoever wins secretly email them so you can maintain her "stage" name.

Grandy said...

How very sweet. :)

carrie said...

Yeah . . . good luck with that convincing! Her spunk is wonderful! :)

Tara R. said...

I love family stories. She definitely looks like a princess.

Clare said...

little lola is so cute, i can't wait until i can tell bradley about his birthday...thank you for sharing.

great pic of lola:)

Crystal D said...

You won't be able to convince me she isn't royal! Let me guess what the royal one is going to be for Halloween... perhaps a princess or fairy or ballerina? All things that go well with a tiara.

CC said...

She's got royalty running through her name, face, and hair. No worries about the blood. Blood is yucky.

Quarantine Hobby said...

She is a little princess, even if she doesn't have royal blood. I mean, look at her! She's precious! I love that picture.

Unknown said...

still the blonde thing...heheheheheh!! you're sister has quite the incluence on her. she is SUCH a princess lola!!

Rachel said...

Gorgeous Gorgeous.

Her name totally fits her. I think.

Love you big hugs and lots of puffy hearts.

Jaina said...

Pretty little princess. And I'm having fun imagining what her name is IRL. :)

April said...

I'm kind of bummed her real name isn't Lola as I love the way it sounds. Who knows? Maybe she'll change it later to Lola!

Unknown said...

You could always tell her that her Auntie Anna has Polish royalty in her blood and that she's a blonde, which must mean that Lola is royalty too! LOL

Anonymous said...

We changed our son's name after he was born. Well, we actually shifted from his first name to his middle name. It was featured in an iparenting article. You just do what you gotta do!
http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/naming-baby/one-of-a-kind-names-6161/

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs

Original Header and Concept by: Judith Shakes