Friday, January 23, 2009

How to properly raise a child to misbehave

"That's not a slide!"

"Slide?"

"No. That's not a slide. Get off."

"Slide? Get on?"

"No. Get off. Get off now."


giggle. giggle. giggle.
"Weee..... slide."

"Again?"

"No!"

giggle. giggle. giggle. "Look, Mama. Weeeeeeee........"

Her mischievous smile is so contagious that I smile out loud, throwing out everything I learned from parenting books, and tackle her to the ground while smothering her neck with kisses. She giggles, squeals, and offers me the other side of her neck.

"Mama said no. That's not a slide." I put on a stern face and stress my no.

"Again, Mama? Slide?"

"No. No slide."

"Weeeeeeeee....."

There is always tomorrow. Yes. Tomorrow I will start being the same parent to her as I was to my older two.

56classy comments:

Lisa said...

No, you won't. I know because I'm not either. And my youngest is SO much better for it, plus I'm having a lot more fun!

Rhea said...

No, tomorrow you're gonna slide down it, aren't you?! hehe

Doublebanker said...

But its fun...

Taking a picture only promotes further misbehaving :)

Check out my Time Warp high speed bullet gifs

Flea said...

Oh merciful. Don't parent her the same way you did the oldest. That's just not right. :)

She looks like you, you know.

Kellan said...

She's as cute as they come - that is for sure!! She'd be hard for me to ever resist!!

Have a great weekend - Kellan

david mcmahon said...

Sorry, I'm on her side. If it looks like a slide, feels like a slide and works like a slide.

IT'S A SLIDE.

JCK said...

Treasure those moments. Oh, that picture is precious.

Kash said...

Ha ha, what a szantrapa jedna.

Scary Mommy said...

Eh, whatever gets them through the say, right? :)

kim-d said...

Look at that gorgeous face; look at the happy! Once again, you definitely did the right thing by waiting until tomorrow. :)

So, so cute--but, wow, is she ever getting tall!

Hailey said...

You are funny.
She is your third, your last. You are going to just sit back and watch. Let her enjoy it.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Right...there is always tomorrow. In the mean time, keep giving those little kisses and hugs, because I'm sure you know it better than I do; they are harder and harder to get!

Sandi McBride said...

Oh sure, and tomorrow pigs might fly...LOL! Enjoy her, spoil her, let someone else take the blame...my mother's words, not mine
Congrats on Post of the Day mention!
Sandi

Jessica said...

What an adorable smile! How could you resist that?!

Halftime Lessons said...

LOL That kid got two helpings of cute...I don't blame you!

Jay

Karen said...

I know exactly what you speak of. Is it the fact that they're the baby? That they're so stinkin' adorable? That you're older and more worn down from the others? That it really doesn't matter any more?

haniaski said...

malutka i kochana

GypsiAdventure said...

Awe, how precious... :)
~K

amanda said...

love the picture. i don't know if i could've resisted either!!

Stephanie said...

personally, I think the 3rd one comes along just a tad more clever. It's like a defense mechanism that God supplied them with so they could take it from the older siblings. And as a parent, that kind of cleverness, though clearly mischievous, is strangely endearing.

Blessings From Above said...

I think it would be absolutely impossible to resist those adorable cheeks!

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

I am no Mother of the Year, but short of juggling steak knives, I say let them explore and have fun. Then again, that could be why my kid is covered in bruises.... please don't turn me in.

Lisa said...

that's why youngest kiddos are always so much fun. I married one!

Kalle said...

Cute as a button with her makeshift slide and adorable smile. Have fun today on the "slide"

Cynthia said...

I constantly feel like I am dropping the ball with The Little Man...and I only have two. Lord knows what I would do with three!

Anonymous said...

You make having a third sound like so much fun!

AutoSysGene said...

I'm sorry but how do you say no to a face like that?

She was was any cuter I think I'd lose my mind. Pink and brown clothes are a big hit over here, too.

Kat said...

Seriously. How can you say "no" to that face? So precious! :)

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

That's one of the things I fear most about parenthood - my inability to keep a poker face during moments of High Adorableness like this.

SECRET AGENT MAMA said...

I understand completely.

Sincerely,
She Who Let Her Baby Son Climb on His Shape Shorter This Morning!

Clare said...

it looks like a slide to me:) she is adorable, how can you tell her no?

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

You gotta spoil the baby. They'll pay for it later, but they'll benefit, too...

Tonya said...

haha that is totally going to be me with my 4th. I can already tell she is getting off easier then the other 3 :) She is too cute!

Tyne said...

It is so tough to be the same- especially b/c it is more fun to be laid back!

Mama Smurf said...

No you won't and that's OK. The new Mama is so much more fun and forgiving and relaxed.

Unknown said...

Oh yes...I have had that same conversation...too too many times...

Miss Lisa said...

Would not hold my breath for that ;)

carrie said...

I say this ALL the time! Hee, hee.

It's too hard to resist when they're so cute!

Unknown said...

Do you think she knows she can get away with pretty much anything cause she's so cute? ; )

Have a great weekend!

Tara R. said...

I can see why you are in trouble. She is so darn cute.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

She is so stinkin cute....I would let her think it was a slide too if I got a smile like that!!

Looks like you are doing well with your picture a day....

Love the pink polka dots:)

Lisa

Roxane said...

Haha!

Reminds me of my Audacity of Nope post...except it's no longer cute when they get as old as mine!

Rachel said...

Dude, she and Monkey are on the same page. SO on the same page. argh.

Momisodes said...

That photo is awesome. She is darling! I couldn't resist that smile either :)

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

Awwwww-so sweet!
The things we let them young ones get away with..haha!

Anonymous said...

I so agree. I am sometimes more lax on my younger one. My older one gets mad "isn't Hannah going to get in trouble for that?" I was so much stricter on Sarah. Hannah is pretty compliant but I find myself much less stressed and we do have so much fun.

Jenera said...

I have at least one moment a week where instead of disciplining like I should, I keel over with laughter at some of the antics my boy comes up with. I think it's allowed every once in awhile, lol.

Laurin (@LaurinEvans) said...

Anything that can be imagined and fashioned into a slide must be used as a slide. That's just genetic intelligence and ingenuity at work. Keep enjoying what you have made. :)

Robin said...

She wasn't being disobediant, she was trying to educate you - and very patiently too. She is so smart, I bet she grows up to be an engineer.

Corinne Cunningham said...

I do that... and my two year old is my first :) Sometimes you can't help but laugh at their ornery ways! It helps to make the day go by after all!

tiarastantrums said...

hee hee hee - I know this well!

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

We have the same issue with our little guy...so darn cute, even when he's doing something he shouldn't do. We end up pulling our shirts up over our faces so he can't see the big grins while we tell him "no, don't do that, blah blah blah".

AreWeThereYet? said...

Sometimes it is OK for Mommy to misbehave too. How precious is that. Think I have to go steal a kiss from my baby right now.

AreWeThereYet? said...

Sometimes Mommy needs to misbehave too. What a sweet, sweet story. Think I need to steal a kiss on the neck from my baby right now.

Nell said...

Sounds like a free spirited child to me. I've got one of those. ;)

Nell

Jaina said...

But her smile is just so darned cute!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs

Original Header and Concept by: Judith Shakes