Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Tribal Disco

"Bricks and mortar make a house, but the laughter of children makes a home." - Irish blessing.

Every so often in the early evening right before bedtime, I gather up the kids, blast the radio, and we dance. We dance to Salif Keita from Mali, we dance to Aretha Franklin, we dance to the Gypsy Kings - really anything that has a great beat. Our CD collection is extensive, we have my well traveled sister to thank for this. The kids are so happy when I let loose. I look into their eyes, hold their hands, twirl around and spin, we jump and hop, and really let loose. Today, Jay was laughing out loud as I danced, the laugh was contagious and soon Lola joined. Even Fifi let out a couple of squeals as I spun her around. "Mom, you are a great dancer." Jay concluded after our disco closed for the evening. I built up a sweat and they gave up their last ounces of energy at our tribal disco. This was a good thing.

2classy comments:

Rhea said...

I thought this included a video?!

I love it, you guys dancing together. Sweetness!!

Kellan said...

I do this with the kids too - ocassionally. Except we two-step in our house - to loud country music and George Strait.

I was looking forward to your video too?! I'll come back tomorrow to see if you got it loaded.

Take care and keep dancing with those precious kids!!

Kellan

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs

Original Header and Concept by: Judith Shakes